Went to Elizabeth's parent's house today so her father could teach me about using a planner and jointer. I picked up a nice piece of walnut rough-cut lumber I needed to mill down. Afterward we were shown Elizabeth's father's impressive train setup.
This painting was made for me in 2005 and I really like it (being the dragon fan that I am). So I decided it needed a frame. With the colors in the image I didn't think a natural wood color would work very well. I have been told poplar wood paints well, and I hadn't worked with it before. So I decided for this frame I would give it a shot.
A custom frame was really my only option here as the dimensions are unusual. I looked at several options for paint. I had first considered using a green wood stain/dye, but my favorite home improvement store didn't actually carry the color I wanted. So I selected a spray paint that had an interesting finish. The frame went together very quickly. After a through sanding I put together my paint booth and covered the frame in two passes. If I had been able to rotate the frame without touching the fresh paint I could have done it in one pass. But two passes worked fine.
The results I am pretty happy with. The paint went on quite even and has a nice texture about it--just like it appeared on the can. So, spray painted frames are a working option.