Andrew Que Sites list Photos
Projects Contact

August 27, 2013

Basement construction, day 11

   A couple of shelves have been hung.  The bench top that is exposed in the front of the picture has a fresh coat of black paint and is drying.  Tomorrow it will receive it's polyurethane coat.  I have been doing 3 coats.  This area of the bench had been covered by my computer, so I waited for the rest of the space to be finished before starting on it.  You may notice the milk crates under the far bench.  Milk crates still form my standard of measurement: 3 milk crates is bench height which comes out to 33 inches.

August 25, 2013

Basement construction, day 9

   One problem with my benches is how dirty they get.  The flat black paint I use doesn't clean well.  So I decided to try a coat of polyurethane on one of the table tops to see if that might create an easier to clean surface.  The results were impressive.  It finished beautifully and cleans very easily.  I've decided to finish all the table surfaces in my work area.

August 24, 2013

Basement construction, day 8

   In the Kobold's Cave, I used black plastic to cover the walls.  This worked, but was highly reflective because of the shinny plastic.  I wanted something darker.  Covering canvas happened to be on sale at my favorite home improvement store, and in the past we have painted a canvas black so it could be used as a black light paint surface.  This worked out well, so I decided I'd try painting canvas for the wall coverings.  Here one of the canvases has been painted and hung.  The painting is a little patchy, but I do like the way it looks.
   The Internet was installed at the house today, and most welcome.

August 20, 2013

Basement construction, day 5

   My work area is coming along.  The box sits in position, along with two benches.  These pieces are not yet attached to anything, but do mark out distances.  At usual, I have plotted my setup in Sketchup after taking careful measurements.  I have an idea of how I want things placed.  Now it's just a matter of putting it all together.

August 19, 2013

Basement construction, day 4

   So here is the split of the hardboard and plywood on the top of the box.  At work I was brainstorming how I would address this issue and came up with the idea of using my router to simply mill out an even channel, and then cut a patch with my table saw.  And this is what I have done.  Pictured is the channel that has been milled out.  Next to that I am holding a piece of wood I cut to fit into the channel.  Since I can't find my micrometer (yet) and had to make a guess at the thickness.  I'll use my belt sander to take off the access, but the cut has been done and the board fits fairly well.