Andrew Que Sites list Photos
Projects Contact

May 27, 2013

Gauss-Newton page complete.

   After several weeks of work, I have completed the implementation, documentation, and website for my Gauss-Newton class.  The page is linked in the projects section.    The release includes 16 functions (5 of which don't converge) with a test suite.  Functions are define with both conventional floating point as well as BC Math for arbitrary precision.  I included four demos on the page, and I'm pretty happy with the inline-demo method I used to place them on the page.  The code is displayed, run, and it's output also displayed.  This makes adding additional demos easy.  The documentation was done in phpDocumentor.  I have mixed feelings about it as I think the documentation layout has become less intuitive in more recent versions.  However, it functions so I'm not going to complain too badly.
   I ran across a couple of problems when trying to publish this website.  First, I had called my polynomial regression class "least-square regression."  This is partly correct, but not the best description.  So I renamed it, which required changing a lot of locations both on the website and in software.  The second complication was getting documented software and a test suite.  I had implemented several functions, but not bothered to test them.  Once implemented and tested using regular floating-point, I had to do the implementation in BC Math.  None of this was hard, just time consuming.  The BC Math implementation required creating three new functions: Pi, sine and cosine.  I'll probably write an article about this in the future. 
   For building the website, I generally use a simple template that I have used on most of my project pages.  I pick some colors, and do a fade for the background.  The fade has always been a cosine fade because I think those look better.  I've setup my image editor to do this, but it's not a perfect cosine fade because I simply gave it a bunch of points to mimic the fade.  When my fade looked too grainy, I decided to do the fade with PHP.  This is an other side project I plan to clean up and publish.
   Lastly, I found the comment system that I wrote back in 2003 had issues as well.  I used several deprecated functions, and the captcha didn't want to work.  I brought it back to the world of the functional, but it could use some cleanup.
   It has been a lot of work to get all of this assembled, but hopefully someone will find this library useful.
The Organ Room

The Organ Room

   Amber, Ben, Joliene, Liz and I traveled to House On The Rock and spent the day.  I had toured this place in November with Amber, but the last area had been closed.  Turns out The Organ Room was my favorite place at the attraction.  Influenced by Dante's Inferno, the room consists of old industrial machinery and pipe organ parts in the strange labyrinth.  It was fantastic.  We walked until it hurt, and I took over 1,100 shots and proofed 164.  As I had found before, the trick to shooting at this location is a high ISO.  Almost all my indoor shots were taken at ISO 6400 because of how dark everything is.  I saw many people using a flash, which I'm sure completely destroyed the feel.  The resulting images are grainy, but because of how the lighting is setup the grain isn't too noticeable.  I did try a couple of HDR shots, but those are difficult without a tripod.