Andrew Que Sites list Photos
Projects Contact
Main

May 29, 2014

X/Y Plot version 1.4 released

Desirae

Desirae

   Released version 1.4 of my X/Y Plot PHP library.  It has needed some cleanup for quite awhile and I got around to doing it.  The library was first written in late 2007 and I wasn't very through about checking for warnings and notices.  So the released code has several that pop up.  Since the library is for drawing images, these warnings mess up the image production so they really needed to be addressed.  Turns out I addressed them a number of years ago, but never released the code.  So after some cleanup and released the new version.
   The major cuts for my project took place today.  Now all three pieces of wood are glued together.  I had cleaned up the glue on the front while the clamps were on, but there was still glue that had spilled out on the back.  I took care of this with the sander.  It won't be visible anyway, but I did want the back of the frame to be flat.  Next I trimmed the edges so I had a completely square piece to work with.
   Time for making the 45° cuts.  These are the most critical part of the project, and I had build a saw jig to do this.  However, something must have happened to the jig because it was not making perfect 45° cuts.  So I decided to use miter gauge.  It took some time to calibrate it so it was making perfect 45° cuts, but I did get it working.  I designed into the frame 1/8" of slop, and I am glad I did.  Once my boards were cut I had to make the parallel sides equal length, and that took the 1/8" I factored into the cuts.  While this part of the project took longer than expected, it worked.
   The last step was to glue it and put the project into the frame clamp.  I covered the top surface with mineral spirits before gluing to keep the glue from seeping into the wood on the surface, and then added glue.  Once in the frame gig it was time to make sure all the pieces were lined up and all flush with one an other.  When tightened I cleaned the excess glue off with a wet rag and set the frame aside to dry. 
   The wood will darken a bit once I add finish, but the frame now looks like what I intended to make.

May 25, 2014

DrQue.net offline

   DrQue.net was off-line all weekend.  Seems the server shutdown on Friday, and because of the holiday weekend had no one to reboot it until Tuesday. 
Glued-up, clamped up.

Glued-up, clamped up.

   With my initial glue-up complete it was time to prepare the mahogany.  The plans called for a 1 1/2" by 3/4" piece to be stained a darker red, routed with a 1/2" round-over, and glued to the Zebrawood and maple.  I taped the edge I planned to glue before staining.  Not sure if it was necessary, but I did not want to risk the stain filling in pores where glue would otherwise seep in.  After gluing it was back to clamps and an other day of sitting.
   Pictured is the first glue up of the Zebrawood and maple just before I took the clamps off.
Zebrawood and Maple

Zebrawood and Maple

   Did a lot of work in the Garage today.  Xiphos and I went on a cleaning spree.  The car he has been working on all winter was moved out.  He replaced the gaskets around the engine to stop an oil leak, but after being reassembled it didn't want to start.  Today, much to both our surprise, it started up and pulled into the other side of the Garage on it's own power.  Idles really high and Xiphos things he has something hooked up incorrectly, but it was a good sign.
   Most of the bicycles in the Garage have been hung from the rafters to keep them out of the way.  My bike weights far too much to hang from nails if any of us were strong enough to lift it that high.  Xiphos and I had been toying with pulleys last summer and he picked up two quadruple pulleys.  Decided to try it out on my bike, and it worked great.  So now my bicycle is flying up out of the way, and is easy to move.
   With the Garage clean it was time to do some woodworking.  First on the list was to plane down my raw lumber.  This would be the first time I used my planner despite having picked it up back in November.  It is an impressive machine.  It breezed through the wood with ease and left me a flat, smooth surface, and a ton of sawdust.  After getting several boards planned down (I decided to plane all the rough lumber I had) it moved onto the initial cuts for my frame.  A three inch strip of Zebrawood, and a 1/4 inch strip of hard maple.  The two are pictured sitting on plastic (the floor is a little oily) just before the glue-up.  After gluing everything went to go sit in clamps overnight.
 
Red Panda

Red Panda

   Desirae, her daughter Allison, and I went to the zoo today.  This time I remember to take my 70-300 mm lens so I could get closer for my shots.  It was a good call as my series from today was much better than in previous visits.  Many of my shots were indoors where lighting was an issue.  The sun ducked behind clouds often and I had to shoot in a high ISO to compensate.  This shot is of a Red Panda who woke up just long enough for a couple of frames.