This project started more than a year ago, but was put on hold and resumed at the beginning of this month. My basement work area is known as the Wyvern's Haunt, and I wanted to design and build a logo for it. The idea was for a dragon with art deco elements. After an initial concept drawing I had Nathan Kroll of Let's Just Be Foes
finalize the drawing. I traced out the drawing in SketchUp, and selected a piece of maple for the back drop. After that the idea sat for a long time.
In early October I picked up a large enough piece of black walnut to do the project, and slowly the project has progressed over the month. The last couple of days I have been finishing the project with several coats of lacquer. This required me to create a vented area in the basement as it is too cool in the garage to do lacquer work. I covered an area in plastic around a basement window. In the window I put one of my blower fans as a fume exhaust. This allowed me to use my HVLP sprayer to apply the lacquer. A space heater kept the temperature up in the paint room so the lacquer would dry faster, and I was able to get about 8 coats of lacquer on the project. Today now that everything was dry I did a very light sanding and mounted the setup above the entrance to the Wyvern's Haunt.