Andrew Que Sites list Photos
Projects Contact
   This is one of my 4 water bottles.  The tab at the top one uses to open the bottle broke off on a ride into work.  My guess is the plastic used on the tab doesn't like cold very much.  So this bottle is now pretty useless.  I actually thought the plastic of the bottle would give out first.
   We had our annual Black Friday dinner at our house today, and I didn't take a single picture of the event.  In the past we had everyone bring leftovers.  This year several of us cooked.  I made deviled eggs, honey oatmeal bread, mashed potatoes, and cookies. 

November 22, 2017

4,000 miles

   Today was the last ride of the week, and a special ride.  The morning was quite chilly at 19°F (-7°C) but had no wind and I had to wear a jacket.  By the time I had to leave work the temperature had climbed up to 32°F (0°C) with an 8 MPH wind from the south west.  Still it wasn't a bad ride home.  What was special about this ride was that shortly after my stop for pizza I finished my 4,000th mile of 2017, putting me well ahead of schedule 4k by year's end.  The month of November is 5 miles shy of 400 miles for the month.  Last year we had an unusually warm November and I logged 318 miles.  This year November was much more typical and had several mornings below 20°F.  I think finding the correct amount of clothing for cool weather riding has been the trick to logging these miles.
   I had a nice tailwind on the way into work and the temperature was a nice 45°F (7°C).  I made the ride to work in 57 minutes which is very fast for me this time of year as I am usually just over an hour.  The ride home, however, the weather took a turn for the worse.  Temperatures dropped to 32°F (0°C) and I had a seriously strong headwind of a sustained 20 MPH with guests of 26 MPH.  Although I took pretty much the same route home, opting to skip my slice of pizza, it took me an hour and 14 minutes.
Morning Twilight on State Street

Morning Twilight on State Street

   Breakfast on State Street this morning.  This is my fourth ride this week.  The temperature this morning was 34°F (1°C) with a steady 14 MPH wind from the SSE.  My morning ride is south and east.  I have been doing pretty well just dressing in my fitted fleece shirt and pants and even with these winds and fatigue from riding all week the ride to breakfast was tolerable.  I've been observing something rather odd about cold weather riding though and this seems rather repeatable.  When I stop riding I usually change cloths because I am usually wet.  About 10-15 minutes after stopping I get fairly cold.  Not sure when this lets up but I known when I leave breakfast I am a little less cold.  Still, I often need to add clothing for the second leg of any two-part winter ride.  That just seems strange to me.  My cycling jacket really is too warm for 34°F so I was quite wet when I got to work from the effort.
   The ride home today was better.  The temperature warmed slightly to 37°F (3°C) but I had a 14 MPH with 24 MPH tailwind assist.  Initially I had been worried my ride today was going to be rained out, but the forecast this morning pushed the rain back to around 2:00 pm.  Fridays are half-days for me so I would be home long before that.  This ride makes pushes November up to 307.5 miles, and means I only have a little over 81 miles before I reach my 4,000 mile goal for the year.