Andrew Que Sites list Photos
Projects Contact
Main
   Yesterday I was two for two when it came to losses.  After not getting my trainer to function, I responded to a reminder to clean the trap in the washer.  I check this every 6 months and have good reason.  This time I found change and some metal chunks.  What the chunks were and why someone left them in their wash are both mysteries but the trap caught them and they have been removed.  When I stood the washer back up and loaded in some wash cloths, I noticed water coming from inside the washer and spilling on the floor.  I checked and it wasn't the drain I had just fixed.  Late in the evening I didn't have time to look into it. 
   This evening after work I pulled the top off the washer and noticed the problem right away.  There is a rubber boot that fits around the soup container where the water is fed into the drum.  The boot had fallen off its connector.  Took a few minutes of inspection to figure out how I was going to get at the boot to reconnect it.  I found a section of pipe could be removed and provided access.  After that I fired the washer up and sure enough I had no leaks.  Easy enough fix and more progress than yesterday.
   The other day my new rim and cassette arrived.  I went to assemble them and found I needed a tool in order to press the cassette onto the rim.  So I took drop it off at the bike shop down the street.  Cost me $5 but the rim was ready.  I then put a tube and tire on it, aired it up, and put it on the Iron Horse.  The goal was to have a rim just for riding on my new trainer.  While I can ride in the cold, it isn't very enjoyable.  And since I don't want to loss all the training my legs have been through (and can't sit still for long anyway) I decided I'd pick up a trainer and ride while watching Star Trek.  Here is my bike in the trainer.  Mostly.  The tire is firmly planted on the floor and pressed up tights against another part of the frame.  Although the trainer claimed it could fit a 29" wheel the reality is quite different.  There is nothing I can adjust to get around this.  I will have to return it and select something different.
   Painting has been completed.  I was a little unhappy with the painters tape I picked up as it pulled up paint in a couple of places.  But I touched it up and it should be fine.  I'm a bad painter and had runs in several places.  Still, the door looks like it has been there as long as everything else and blends right in.  So I'm happy with the results.
   The weather has been cold lately.  Tonight I expected (and received) a strong headwind on my ride home.  This is my new face mask.  It has a flexible rubber spacer around the mouth that acts as a wind break.  I'm not sure if I like it yet or not.  While it does pretty good at not restricting breathing I haven't figured out how to make it comfortable.  It sits strange on the face and pinches my nose.  More tests need to be conducted.
   The repairs on the outside of the house finished up in October, but laziness suspended putting paint on the new patio door until now.  This weekend I cleared out the corner and tapped for the first round of painting.  The previous owners of the house kept all the paint in the basement labeled, and I should have plenty for this job.
   Pictured is around 2 tons of silver maple.  This week we finally got the giant log in our front yard turned into planks.  The slabs range between 12/4 and 16/4 (3-4" or 7-10 cm).  There are two lengths, 12 foot (3.6m) and 6 foot (1.8m).  After picking up some concrete blocks and some lath spacers I got the Elmwood Park crew together to move the slabs from the front yard to the garage.  They will not stay in the garage, but I don't have a good spot in the yard ready and I need them out of the front yard.  The large slabs weight several hundred pounds and even with four nerdy guy we couldn't lift them.  Lucky, the four nerdy guys know physics.  We employed a couple pipes to help roll the slabs off the stack and onto our wagon.  Levers, rollers, a little brute force and four hours and the stack was in the garage. 
   The wood is impressive.  I wasn't sure how much would be good, but a there isn't too much rot.  The ends will need to be treated and the stack has to sit for a couple years to dry.  But I think we will have some usable wood when it is done drying.